We dedicated a day at home around our normal summer play to baking for a few of our local firemen and police officers. All five of the kiddos were more than happy to help with making eight (or so) dozen cookies.



The kiddos sat around the table during the baking and cooling process and made cards to accompany the sweet treats. I just love how they turned out.



Despite feeling pretty shy at first, when arriving to deliver the cards and cookies, with big smiles and outstretched arms, they excitedly presented their goodies to the firemen and police officers.
While visiting one of the fire stations, the firemen asked if we'd like to see their fire engine. Fortunately, we had to declined the invite given that we hadn't allotted the time for it. The decision was received unbelievably well among all of the kiddos. I know it was the Holy Spirit who helped with that transition, reminding us all that this time we came to give, not receive.
Before we departed the kids and I joined hands and prayed a simple prayer over them. We thanked God for their service and asked that He protect them wherever they go and whatever they do. For the last two of our stops the kiddos felt brave enough to repeat the prayer after me. Oh, what a sweet sound it was to hear their little courageous voices pray over our community heroes like that. Such a sweet sound, indeed. Three stops went by too quickly. Next time we'll shoot for baking more in hopes that we can have the chance to bless a few more stations.
When planning these types of summer outreach projects, I thought mainly of how I'd hope they'd impact the kiddos but my, oh, my, have they impacted me just as greatly, if not more. I have been so blessed by the few experiences we've had thus far.
We cannot wait to continue serving and blessing others.



AHHHH!!!! I want to be there!!! Please say that it doesn't just have to be a "summer" outreach... :)
ReplyDeleteOMG Michelle that is the sweetest thing. I agree with Emily I would love to be there with all of you next time if you don't mind.
ReplyDeleteSo precious!
ReplyDelete