A friend of mine, of whom I made connections with through my dear grandmother, passed a book on to me that she thought I'd enjoy reading. A four hundred fifty-eight page book that she wrote herself. She wrote it in efforts to remember her thirteen year journey as a missionary in Africa. I was in awe and immediately eager to begin reading. She even suggested it be read aloud to the kids as it was intended to be a wholesome read for the entire family.
God had an agenda through the passing of this book into our home. I find it so humbling when God allows me to not only see his hand at work but to also take part in it.
We sailed through the first Chapter having wonderful conversations about what it means to be a missionary. The book is told from Sandra's, the main character's, point of view. Sandra spoke very highly of her upbringing. Though her parents had gone to be with the Lord her strong adoration for them was evident. She stated how she'd be forever grateful for the strong spiritual heritage they left and honored them for instilling Godly values into her life. Sandra closed the first chapter by leaving with us a taste of her longing for heaven, to see Jesus face to face, as well as "the greatest father and mother a girl could ever be blessed with in Heaven, too."
It wasn't long into chapter two that I noticed an unusual look on Gabriella's face. I stopped to ask her if she was OK. She looked up at me and asked with a quiet, shaky, uncertain voice, "Momma, what if you get to heaven before I do?".
That look in her eyes. It's a look I've seen a many times before. She was trying her best to be strong and hold it all together but as quickly as the tears were welling up in her eyes they fell, streaming down her face. Her short, frequent breaths in between her cries spoke so loudly of the heartache raging inside. I could tell she thought I might not understand exactly how it was she was feeling and at the same time didn't want to disappoint me, being afraid that what she was thinking was something completely bizarre or absurd.
Oh, my heart. Oh, my sweet girl.
Normally, at the sight of Gabriella experiencing such pain and brokenness, I wouldn't have been able to control myself from crying right along side of her. But not that day. If it wasn't for my relationship with the Lord, I would think it strange how empowered, how strong I felt while conversating with Gabriella but I know it was only by God's strength and the power of the Holy Spirit within me. He had ordained that moment between the two of us and had already equipped me with what it was I needed.
That look in her eyes. It's a look I've seen a many times before. She was trying her best to be strong and hold it all together but as quickly as the tears were welling up in her eyes they fell, streaming down her face. Her short, frequent breaths in between her cries spoke so loudly of the heartache raging inside. I could tell she thought I might not understand exactly how it was she was feeling and at the same time didn't want to disappoint me, being afraid that what she was thinking was something completely bizarre or absurd.
Oh, my heart. Oh, my sweet girl.
I drew her close to me physically but it was the Holy Spirit who did the comforting. I gently reminded her of Jesus's purpose for coming to this earth to die on the cross and save us from our sins. We revisited how He made way for us to go to heaven and even how He's there, right now, preparing incredibly special things just for us. I delighted in emphasizing that eternity is promised to us. Both of us. To those who love God. Yes, her and I. We get to share an eternity together in heaven. An eternity!
I felt such an overwhelming amount of peace while reminding her that this world is not our forever home. I could sense the comfort of the Holy Spirit as we talked about how our life here on this earth is but a fraction, it is oh-so-short compared to our life together in heaven. There will never be an end to eternity. Never ever, never.
Normally, at the sight of Gabriella experiencing such pain and brokenness, I wouldn't have been able to control myself from crying right along side of her. But not that day. If it wasn't for my relationship with the Lord, I would think it strange how empowered, how strong I felt while conversating with Gabriella but I know it was only by God's strength and the power of the Holy Spirit within me. He had ordained that moment between the two of us and had already equipped me with what it was I needed.
As our conversation came to a close, I held her tight and told her how much I loved her. She returned the gaze, looking so deeply into my eyes. More deeply than I know anyone has ever looked at me before and stating her undeniable love for me with those three, beautiful little words, "I love you". Never have I heard that string of words like I did that day. Never have I ever felt them like I did, either. She touched my soul and I will remember that precious moment for always.
We prayed together and thanked God foremost for His infinite love and secondly, our overwhelming love for each other. We thanked God that our life in Him gives us freedom from fear. We prayed that He would bring us to a place where we could trust Him completely with our entire lives, even each other.
Time stood still for moments afterwards as I continued to hold her, whispering prayers from the depths of my soul thanking Jesus for his love, for salvation, thanking him for heaven and for the eternity we're promised together.
Time stood still for moments afterwards as I continued to hold her, whispering prayers from the depths of my soul thanking Jesus for his love, for salvation, thanking him for heaven and for the eternity we're promised together.
I'm not sure I made all of the right decisions when choosing what to say while comforting my sweet Gabriella but I do trust and believe that the Holy Spirit did a great work. I believe God will remind her of these very truths when the devil tries to remind her of those fears. I trust Jesus with this area of fear in her life and thank God for the opportunity He gave us that unforgettable day to allow such powerful ministering to take place.
It's my prayer that God guides me through this parenting journey and that the Holy Spirit would make me aware of and sensitive to, not only the physical needs of my children but, even more so, the spiritual and emotions needs thereof. I stand in faith, believing that God allowed this happening so that Gabriella, at her tender age of five years old, could begin to grasp eternity.
Let it be, Jesus. Let it be.
It's my prayer that God guides me through this parenting journey and that the Holy Spirit would make me aware of and sensitive to, not only the physical needs of my children but, even more so, the spiritual and emotions needs thereof. I stand in faith, believing that God allowed this happening so that Gabriella, at her tender age of five years old, could begin to grasp eternity.
Let it be, Jesus. Let it be.
I think it sounds so super weird, but I am so proud of you, Michelle. Keep on mothering those babies in the Spirit, and in doing so, helping others (ME!) see how to mother in the Spirit, too. You truly inspire me. :)
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful moment. <3 Such a beautiful example of how we should, like you said, care not only for the physical needs but the spiritual needs of our children.
ReplyDelete