Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Shelf Markers

I first learned about the idea of using a shelf marker while teaching at VanStory Hills Elementary School. As part of their library's procedures for checking out books, the students were required to use shelf markers. These shelf markers were really nothing more than wooden rulers. Upon finding a book they were interested in perusing the contents of, they'd simply slide their ruler into the shelf before removing the book then remove the book. The shelf marker would help to hold the book's place while they flipped through the pages and decided if it was one they'd like to check out.  If they decided not to check the book out, they'd place the book back where their shelf marker sat, remove their shelf marker and continue their search for the perfect book. What a brilliant idea, right?! I sure loved it.
 
The thought of introducing these shelf markers to my kiddos has crossed my mind a few times in the past year or so but it wasn't until this summer that I decided we'd give them a try. Even if they didn't use them exactly the way they were intended, it would still serve as a great lesson on how important organization is within the library, build their appreciation for the liberians and promote the significance of being a responsible library citizen. (Something about feeling like they are ready for all of that makes me a little sad, like we've reached some sort of milestone through all of this shelf marker stuff. Silly, I know.)

I wanted to help them create a sense of pride and ownership so I thought it'd be a fun project to allow them the chance to personalize their own shelf marker. I swung by Lowes to pick up five paint stirrers. In effort to prime the sticks and cover the lettering, I painted both sides white.  When it was time for the kids to paint they took their blank canvases and quickly got to work. Michael and Josiah were pretty fascinated with the new circular foam brushes I laid out and got busy making dots right away. Gabriella's vision started with solid a color on each side; one pink and the other side yellow. She later decided to add a few details with sharpie markers. 


It was so much fun to do a little role playing at home with the books on our own little bookshelf. Here, Gabriella is showing us exactly how to use a shelf marker. She's such a great teacher!

Our weekly visit to the library happened to be the day after they completed their project.
They were thrilled to put their shelf markers to use and went straight in to test them out on real public library shelves.


I'm positive Josiah's will more than likey rotate between being a sword and a shelf marker for the next few years or so but that's ok, it makes my heart smile.
I'm so glad they all enjoyed this experience.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I so remember being taught how to use a shelf marker in elementary school. Such a simple idea but practical! I love them!! Gabby did such an awesome job giving the tutorial. Lil growny pants hehe Mikey's smile is so precious!

    ReplyDelete