My sweet Gabriella, you have been asking me, for sometime now, to teach you to sew. I hate that it has taken this long for me to make that happen but am so glad it did happen. Time finally provided itself for this on the first day of our Thanksgiving break. I stayed quite busy for the majority of the day trying to catch up with laundry and cleaning, seeing that it was the first (week)day in quite a while I've been able to do so. After lunch, somehow, quite miraculously Mikey and Josiah both laid down for a nap. That never, ever happens and I couldn't thinking of anything better to do with that time than to spend those few moments of uninterrupted time with you, my darling, teaching you to sew.
I'm still not too sure I know enough to teach anyone anything but I took a shot at it. You were so incredibly excited.
I discovered, while making your Ninja Turtle shirts for Halloween, that sewing felt is super easy and (I'm not sure this next statement makes any since but) it feels good to sew. Given so, I decided having you make a little pillow of felt for your stuffed animals or dolls would be a great idea. Sewing two square pieces of felt together then stuffing it with a little stuffing seemed manageable. And it was. You did so awesome!
We talked about the upper and lower thread, the bobbin, the presser foot and the pedal. I also showed you how to lower the needle and where to keep your hand while sewing, emphasizing how important it was to keep it far way from the needle (which you stated you already knew because you've been watching me do it. :))
 |
| That is pure excitement radiating from that face of yours! |
Having grandma share this experience with us was just priceless. She really enjoyed watching you and listening to your exciting remarks. It was a surreal moment for me.
 |
| My little seamstress! |
 |
| Pinning... |
 |
| Stuffing... |
 |
| Talking with grandma :) |
 |
| Sweetness... |
 |
| Trimming excess thread. |
 |
| Way to go, big girl! |
You've asked everyone you've shown your pillow to, if they'd like you to make them one. Of course their answer was a big, big YES! You now have a list of about five friends and family of whom you need to make little felt pillows for. :) You are so sweet! I can't wait for our next project together!
I loved reading this post so much! Priceless. I love her smile in that pic. And the hair!!
ReplyDelete