This would be one of those moments as a mom where I am so full of pride. She's really getting this writing and reading thing and I find it completely captivating.
I try to visit and revisit certain scholastic activities based on Gabriella's level of interest. Reading and writing have not been on the top of her "this is so much fun, let's do this!" list. And that's absolutely OK...
I don't ever want to get caught up in pushing a timeline or academic checklist. I want learning to be a natural experience that is fun and enjoyable. Those developmental milestones will come. When she's ready. I want to expose her but allow her the freedom to pursue topics and ideas in depth when she's eager, ready and interested.
Well, the time is now for reading and writing and I'm sooooo excited! I do, though, find myself wanting to take a huge sigh of relief. It's one of those things that I'm just not sure I'm qualified to teach mastery of. I'm terrified that somehow I'm going to fail miserably at tasks such as potty training and reading. I think I can, however, rest assured knowing that she's got this and is going to be absolutely fine!
I am so honored to have a front row seat to this monuments event in the history of Gabriella's life.
She has been writing her upper and lower case letters really well (with the exception of a few) for some time now but still has not been too interested in using them to form words. Watching her new found excitement for writing has been absolutely thrilling for me.
A few snippets of this incredible journey:
One day (during Mikey's nap time) she just decided she'd pick up a piece of construction paper and a crayon and get to work.
After Mikey woke up, she insisted he come to the kitchen with her so that she could make one just for him. She even included his name! She sounded it out and wrote it all on her own!
This was the very first time she had ever (that I know of) written "I love you". Such a piece of history right here..."I luv yoow"
Needless to say, "I luv yoow" is her most favorite phrase to write and I am "luv"ing it!
Reading to me what she wrote on the chalkboard: "WLKM (welcome) ALUA and ALUYA (Alya)"...
A card for everyone! "Sin Mikey", "Sin Momey", "Sin Josiyu", "Sin Dadey", and even one for herself "Sin Gabe". I'm not too sure where the "sin" came from but Gabriella says it tells who the card is written for. I have a feeling it comes from seeing or hearing, somewhere, "sign" so-and-so at the end of a letter and she has translated it to this. Nonetheless, cute, cute, cute!
The inside of our cards..."I lub yoow"
"I luv Budrfliz" "Budrfiy"
Gosh! This is so much fun!!! I love it!
"Miy favr plas iz put put", A sweet letter responding to her dear pen-pal!
This one requires a story be told, so precious! Because Josiah nurses to sleep, I stay with him for a bit of time (maybe 10-15 mins) just until he falls asleep then I sneak away. Lately, Gabriella hasn't been too happy with that short amount of time I'm away. I use to save their daily tv time for my nursing sessions with Josiah but my intense hate-side of my love-hate-relationship with the television has slowly fased that out. She has recently spent Josiah's pre-nap nursing sessions writing me letters and quietly sliding them under the door. I believe her last letter was in effort to express some of her frustration with me leaving them ALONE for such a very, very LONG period of time..."Wiy duz Josiy slep"
"The speit (spirit) of the Lord God" Whew, this one got me! I do remember hearing her sound this one out as she asked me how to spell "or" and "of" while working quietly at her little table. When I saw this was the product of those inquiries I was so tickled.
As they say, reading and writing go hand in hand. There has definitely been an increase in her interest to "read" lately.
I am so weakened my these precious moments. This should have been nap time. I was suppose to be peeking into a quite room checking on tiny, closed eye lids. Instead I find myself sneaking in and hiding behind bunk-bed rails trying to capture pictures and video of an ever so sweet big sister reading to her little brother.
Picking up books and "reading" all on her own has happened more and more frequently...
She has found so much joy in this amazing adventure that has merely just begun. I am committed to be the fuel that keeps her fire going. I am just the honored participant, she is truly the incredible mind.















No comments:
Post a Comment