Sunday, January 18, 2015

Washing Dishes

I was busy working on getting a late dinner in the oven when I heard her little voice speak up from behind me declaring, "I'm going to wash the dishes." I carried on as I watched her grabbed her apron and a chair. After she put on her apron, she scooted the chair right up to the sink and turned on the water. Away she went washing the sick full of plates and utensils while merrily singing Christmas songs. There was confidence and authority in the way she approached the task like she had done it millions of times before. She hadn't though.  I looked over my shoulder at her adorable self and observed how she tilted her head ever so slightly while scrubbing those dishes. She talked to her self between singing lines of Christmas lyrics about the running water, which dishes were easy to clean and which were more difficult. She made conclusions about what "scrubby brush" worked best. She walked away from the sink with a smile and a soaking wet shirt (and apron and skirt). 

The dishes weren't spotless and, yes, had to rewash them but I'd do that day after day after day if I could experience what I experienced when watching her like I did today. Experiencing her confidence, my appreciation, her selflessness and my adoration. She is such an amazing little girl. I hope we have many, many more times like this, together working in the kitchen.  

1 comment:

  1. This is beautifully written, Michelle. What a wonderful glimpse into what I am sure was just the most magical of moments for the both of you. Love love love it. :)

    ReplyDelete