Learning how to sew has been one of those things that I'd more than LOVE to learn to do but for one reason or another I've felt incredibly intimidated by. As soon as I'd think of it, I'd immediately feel defeated. I was sure I'd never build the courage to try.
My dear friend, Emily, has helped change all of that for me and I am so very grateful. A few hours on a Saturday morning has left me no longer feeling like the idea of sewing is impossible. I'll never be able to thank her enough for the time she took to sow into my life.
I have so many more mistakes to make before I learn the gist of things but I am on my way and I'm so happy about that.
Here is the product of our time together that lovely Saturday morning.
I probably sat, staring at this skirt for hours and hours after I got home that day. I was in awe, feeling a bit of disbelief, a smidgen of pride and a great deal of excitement from what's to come. Quite possibly the very best feeling, though, was the feeling I got from seeing how excited Gabriella was about it. She wore it that day and the day after and the day after that. She wore it so proudly. She proclaimed to everyone she crossed paths with, "My mommy made this for me!"
Things have picked up and I have now finished my first official (solo) project, a gift for Emily's precious daughter, Ayla! I adore this fabric!
Ehhhh...not bad. Not perfect but not bad.
It makes me really happy to know that this skirt probably cost right under five dollars to make (seeing that I didn't use all of the six dollar fabric (3/4ths of a yard) I purchased). I LOVE the print and would really love to make myself a matching one. :) Maybe one day.
I've learned quite a bit from this experience. I've learned that stretch fabric is flighty. No two seem to have the same amount of stretchiness. I've also learned that a walking foot can be a valuable tool. If I ever get one, I am sure I will appreciate it greatly. I find pinning tissue paper to my fabric a very interesting little trick but would love not to have to. :)
I've since made two more little maxi skirts for her. This one...
And this one...
The owl print is a little wild but we still love it!
Gabriella is very intrigued by our new sewing adventures. She has asked many times for her own sewing machine so that she can learn to sew with me. She wants a set of everything I have, just for her.
Here she was, one day, writing a list of things she'd need in order to begin.
design fabric
sewing machine
thread
scissors
needle
pins
pins
sewing lessons
Sigh, she is so adorable. I love her so incredibly much. I can't wait to teach her. I'm not sure I even know enough to do so but I sure am going to give it a whirl.
Sigh, she is so adorable. I love her so incredibly much. I can't wait to teach her. I'm not sure I even know enough to do so but I sure am going to give it a whirl.








1. You should feel a bit more than a "smidgen" of pride. :)
ReplyDelete2. I am so excited about your excitement!!
3. Gabby's list - oh my heart!! Ayla, too, is waiting to be old enough to be taught to sew.
4. The maxi skirts - I am so proud to just decide to go for it! I'm inspired to make some for Ayla!
5. The skirt you made for Ayla made her cut in the clothes to pack to Alaska. It is SO cute! And so well done! :) You're an amazing student!
So blessed to know you have such a good friend who is so good to you, I love her just for that!
ReplyDelete