Friday, October 31, 2014

Harvest Festival 2014

Grandma Cindy was so kind to snap a picture in front of the beautiful tree in her front yard before we ran off to help prepare for the night's festivities at church. We were so busy at the Harvest Festival I hate I didn't get a better close up picture of the kiddos but I'm so grateful we do at least have this one.
A Ninja Turtle Family
We don't ever put a whole lot of thought into Halloween costumes. We usually just pull something together as inexpensively and as easily as possible and usually at the very last minute. In fact, I didn't even bother to ask Gabriella or Mikey what they'd like to dress up as until the very week of Halloween.  

Gabriella got a Princess Anna dress from the Disney movie Frozen for her fifth birthday. I just assumed she'd be happy wearing that but much to my surprise, when I finally took the time to ask her, that was far from what she preferred. She requested to dress up as Donnie, the Ninja Turtle and Mikey requested to be, why, Michael Angelo, of course. :)  And as always, Gabriella asked ever so politely and melted my heart.  I just had to (wanted to) do everything I could to pull it together for the both of them. (I'm still not fond of this whole Ninja Turtle movement but I'll have to document those feelings another time.)

After a bit of Pinterest and Internet searching I decided creating a ninja shirt, a simple mask and making some sort of shell was manageable. By the time I had done the research and bought the materials I had one day to pull it together. It was around the 2am-ish hour when my head hit the pillow on Halloween morning. 
I hadn't pulled my sewing machine out since our move so this was the perfect little project to get it out for.  I've since fallen in love with how fun felt is to sew and craft with. 

I had originally planned on using brown spray painted, cheap 98 cent, roaster pans for their turtle shells but when I came across this idea AND realized I already had everything I needed to pull it off, I was SOLD. Unlike the roaster pans, I knew these shells could take a beating. 
I love that they'll get quite a few wears out of their shirts and will also get to add a turtle shell to their dress-up/costume wardrobe. (I've washed their shirts at least three times since Halloween and they are holding up so well!)

We started our eventful day with a get together at what we've come to call our "Homeschool Class". We got an awesome science lesson in as we watched one of the moms make homemade root-beer with dry ice, we played a few games and ate a few delicious snacks.
Alyana was the best mummy! 
He's the perfect fix for my sweet tooth! 

Later that evening we headed to the church to help host Little River's Harvest Festival/Trunk of Treats. Daddy helped with the cotton candy booth for a little while and then eventually had all of the kids in an uproar as he drove them around on a hay ride. I handed out free chips and hot dogs to any and all and Uncle Phil helped keep the track of kiddos. (Thank you SO much Uncle Phil!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment