This, this right here is what the holiday season is all about to me. Simple selfless acts of kindness in efforts to share God's love with others.
What a warmness it brought to my heart to join together with fellow citizens (of whom 95% were strangers) to share the joy of Christmas with the residents of Autumn Care Nursing Home.
We walked around the halls singing various Christmas carols, stopping sporadically to give a Christmas greeting, a warm smile and even a few hugs.
We brought up the tail end of the line as we passed out a few homemade Christmas ornaments to the residents. This sweet lady in the picture below ended up with three baby Jesus ornaments. One from Gabriella, one from Josiah and one from Nathan. And she loved all three just the same.
![]() |
| Even though it's a blurred picture, I just love the joy that radiates from her face as she opens her arms wide for a hug from Gabriella! |
I was really excited to have the chance to talk with Gabriella after this experience. I was eager to hear her verbalize what feelings she felt as we walked those halls singing Christmas carols and spreading cheer. She didn't have a whole, whole lot to say but did mention how good it made her feel. It lead to a wonderful conversation about life and how we will all grow old one day, even mommy and daddy. We talked about the fact that some elders need a bit more assistance with their daily activities as they age. I asked Gabriella if she would help mommy and daddy when they grow older and of course she responded with a humongous hug and a "Ohhh, YES!". As I knelt to squeeze her tight she informed me that she knows how to make toast and get water so she can take good care of us. Oh my heart, that girl is something else!





I cried! What a blessed woman you are! I'd take toast and water from her any day :)
ReplyDelete