Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Mind-Boggling

It has been fascinating to watch Gabriella, Mikey and Josiah develop academically over the past few years. I've found so much of their development mind-boggling.  For much of this academic progress I've concluded that I am valuable for exposure, true, and a bit of guidance, too, but quite honestly they have come to fascinating realizations all on their own; through a little push of childlike wonder and experimentation. It is all so inspiring to witness. 

Inventive spelling has been one of my absolute favorites to observe. I have noticed that Gabriella has come about it through a combination of factors.  One of course being a deep understand of letters and their sounds but strangely and more importantly (in my opinion) in conjunction with great confidence. She has had to, in a certain way, be fearless, unafraid to make mistakes when treading on the unknown. I have watched her confidence develop as she stares at blank canvases, preparing to create words only by what she herself is capable of (which is far grander than anything she is even aware of). 

Its my goal to nurture this innate childlike fearlessness that gives them confidence to try new things. There is no telling what can be accomplished with such an ability. 

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! I've never thought of it as FEARLESSNESS, but it absolutely is! Fearless with bugs and fearless with words: that Gabby is going to change the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Gabby!!!! You have done and continue doing such an outstanding job with your kids Michelle.

    ReplyDelete