Saturday, February 15, 2014

Gabriella's Dream Journal

I find it fascinating that little ones dream. I'm not surprised by it so I'm not sure why I find it fascinating but I do. Especially now that Gabriella is at an age where she is aware of her dreams, when they occur and can remember them enough to retell them. Perhaps that's what I find fascinating. 

I'm excited to be able to document the dreams she's able to retell until one day she may be interested in documenting them on her own.  


Gabriella's Dreams at 4 Years old 


January 6, 2014 

The Toilet Dream: I noticed Gabriella rushing (more like running as fast as she could) out of the bathroom after she had gone potty one day. At the time, I thought nothing of it, just that perhaps she was in a hurry to get back to what she was doing.  I couldn't help to to giggle (more like laugh hysterically) when Gabriella came to me randomly one day to share a dream she had. That's when the pieces of the puzzle came together. She came to me as though she needed to confess something. She hesitantly told me about a dream she had in which "the potty was throwing her out of the world", yes those were her very words.  Poor thing! I did feel bad for her but I couldn't help but to laugh. I realize that could very well be a very traumatizing dream for a four year old. I did reassure her that the potty could do no such thing and she was relieved enough to giggle along with me.  After our talk, I noticed it took a few more trips to the potty to trust my word enough not to rush out of the bathroom. Gabriella will talk about that dream occasionally then smile and say "I know, mommy, it's not really going to happen." Oh my baby girl, no, it's not. I promise. I won't let it, I love you too much. 

February 26, 2014 

Dinosaurs: I imagine retelling dreams may be a bit difficult for a four year old to do. What am I saying?!? Trying to remember my dreams (as a 30 year old) is hard to do! Sometimes I remember bits and pieces of a dream throughout the day as though I'm having some kind of epiphany. Dreams can be a bit foggy and hard to remember. When Gabriella shared her Dinosaur dream with me she tilted her head upwards and lifted her eyes twards the sky as she talked...it seemed as though it helped her to remember. I completely understand sweet Gabriella, here's what you gathered to share with me this morning...
"There was one dinosaur in my room, only one. Then there were more coming. I called for Jesus and he came then I woke up." 

We've had discussions before about bad dreams and what to do when you have them. It breaks my heart that your nightmares occur in a place that I have no control over keeping you safe from but I do realize it gives me opportunity to point you to Jesus. When bad dreams happen, as some nights they will, we've talked about praying. Praying and asking Jesus to take them away, and he will, he'll always be there for you. Just call on his name baby girl. 

I assume this dream wasn't one you were pleased with having. My heart is so happy that although I could not be there to rescue you, Jesus was. I'm so glad you called on him.  He'll always be there for you, always. 


March 1, 2014 

Aunt Becky's Kisses: Sometimes Gabriella will ask me first thing in the morning if I know what she was imagining...given that she's asking so early in the morning and that it's so fresh on her mind, I'm pretty sure her imagining is dreaming. When I asked her this morning when she was imagining, her answer was, "in my bunk bed"...another reason I believe her imagining is dreaming.  

This morning what she shared with me went something like this...
"I imagined that Aunt Becky was here. She was in my room and giving me kisses. After she gave me kisses she went in your room to sleep. Then I woke up."   

Short and sweet but so precious! 

March 19, 2014

Tied Up:
I noticed Gabriella in my bed at 4am when I woke to nurse Josiah. In the morning she told me that she came to lay with me because she had a bad dream. Her retell was a bit choppy as she tried her best to remember the details but it sounded much like this...


"I dreamed that I was running because someone was chasing me. She got me and tied me up. I ran away again and got a knife. Not a sharp knife. It was a butter knife. I used the butter knife because it was a little tiny sharp and it cut all the strips off me. There were two other people running with me. I don't know who was chasing me or who my two friends where. They didn't tell me who they were. "

No comments:

Post a Comment