Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day 2014

14 years ago it all began. He asks me to be his girlfriend on Valentine's Day of 2000 and I said yes.
I remember that day like it was yesterday. He asked me to be his girlfriend in the church parking lot after a Wednesday night service. He gave me a teddy bear and balloons.  It was so sweet and so thoughtful.  What was even more sweet and thoughtful was the promise ring tucked inside of that cute little teddy bear. The teddy bear had a little zipper on its back and when you opened it you'd see that there's just enough room for a little something special.  My little something special was a promise ring. A symbol that stood for a promise. A to our relationship, a promise under God to be true and pure, a promise of love.

It's so hard to believe almost a decade and a half has passed! Next Valentine's Day we'll have been together for almost half of our lifetime. Wow! And here we are today with a beautiful family of five. Gabriella is 4 and 1/2 years old, Michael is 2 and 1/2 years old and Josiah will be the big ONE in eight days!

Valentine's Day is and will always be such a special day for us. A day for us to reflect on our love and the history of our life together. It's a wonderful day to share extra kisses and warm embraces as we reminisce on those things.

We've learned, perhaps simply by sacrifice, that we don't need to buy expensive jewels and jewelry, flowers, chocolates and balloons in efforts to express our love. It is so nice to be able to do those things every once in a while but I'm so glad that neither one of us are let down by the lack of material gifts on special Holidays like today. We've learned that it's not, to us, all about what you do on Holidays for each other but instead what you do every. single. day. for each other. It's about feeling appreciated and loved on a daily basis.

I have so many reason to love and appreciate my husband. I may not say it or show it near enough but I do, I really, really do. The little ones are I are blessed to love a man who loves his family with all of his heart. A man who works hard (such an understatement) everyday for his family. A man who serves God. A man who will never settle for less than the very best for me, for his children, for his family. 

It's been an honor to have shared 5 years of courtship and almost 9 years of marriage together. The days ahead are promising. I can't wait to see what the future holds.  

I love you baby! Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment