Wednesday, March 26, 2014

From Baby to Toddler

You are growing at such a rapid pace. Right before my very eyes I am witnessing your baby days fade into toddler ones. 

I guess I should have known this stage of toddlerhood was coming shortly after you turned one or started walking. I was in no condition, though, to think on such things seeing that I was savoring my last set of firsts. I didn't and don't want you growing up any faster than you already are. 

I'll admit, I'm not quite ready for this but I do understand your not going to wait until I am. So rather than being saddened by your baby days slowly dwindling, I'll rejoice over the new, exciting days to come. 

If only I could document every single moment from these memorable days but for now here are just a few...

I should first mention how incredibly observant you are, which I believe is the cause of so many of your attempts in trying new things! You watch Gabriella and Michael's every move and love to mimic them...They stick their finger in the flour for a taste while helping mommy bake and you reach to do the very same. They blow on their hot food at dinner time and you do the very same. (THAT, by the way, is cute, cute, cute!) They sit at their table with paint or markers, paper and glue and you want to do the very same. They play with the china tea set and you insist on doing the very same. (Oh, your love for that tea set is so very real! So much that Gabriella has given her beloved china tea set to you! She said to me "Since Josiah loves it so much, I'm going to give it to him. It's Josiah's tea set now." She loves you so much and looks after you just like mommy does.)

Such a big boy! 


You know how to make known what you do or don't want with pushing away or drawing neigh. Let me not forget to mention, you, of course, can also vocalize your wants and needs quite well. You have quite a voice on you. Just a few weeks ago you'd point or reach for what it is you want and say "baaaa, baaaa!!". Gabriella, Mikey and I loved hearing you say that.  We called you our little sheep. Now it's "ma-ma! ma-ma!! ma-ma!!!". Everything is ma-ma. You reach for something out of your grasps and say "ma-ma!". You cling onto my pant-leg and plea "ma-ma! ma-ma!" until you rest comfortably in my arms. You fuss "ma-ma!! ma-ma!!" for anything and everything. I am definitely not complaining about it either. I'm actually really flattered. I love that ma-ma is your favorite word (which of course means I'm your favorite, right? haha!). :) 

I caught you saying "ma-ma" while laying on the bed one day last month. I'm positive this is one of the sweetest sounds my ears will ever hear. 


You have discovered how to climb on and off of the couch all by yourself. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I didn't see it everyday with my own eyes! You do need to be barefoot to do so, though. 

I have to pin you down when I change your diaper because you think it's hilarious to run away naked. I think it's hilarious, too, so I often let you. :)  (I'm exaggerating a bit on the "pin you down" part. It's more like... distract you while I quickly change you.)

You are now capable of intentionally irritating your older brother and are deliberate about pushing or hitting him when he occupies the smallest amount of space on my lap. You do not like to share me. 

The hitting and pushing, ugh, I'm not quite ready for that. I don't remember it happening so soon but I'm sure it's right on time. The hitting, I believe, came about by play, in which you now you think it's some sort of game. You "tap" Gabriella or Michael on the head and because both of them laugh hysterically at you doing so, you (of course) repeat the action. 

Your fine motor skills are pretty incredible. You can work those little fingers unlike any baby I've ever seen. You use that single index finger to mush on tiny pieces of cracker on your tray.  You can correctly use a fork to puncture your food and accurately place it in your mouth. Actually, you won't eat if you don't have a fork or spoon in your hand. If everyone else eats with one, you, naturally, expect to have one to eat with as well.

Lasagna and green beans...


Waffles and yogurt...

You've been pointing with your index finger for about four months now. November was the first time I noticed you doing it. You point to things (pictures and words) on pages in a book and even when trying to touch the screen on my phone, you point. 

You are very intrigued with little things and trying to figure out how they work. Like opening the lid of a small spice jar, removing Chapstick or marker lids or clasping and unclasping things. You will sit for what feels like forever (at least for a 13 month old's attention span) if you have one of those sorts of things to play with. 

Playing with Gabriella's amulet. 

You have a slight infatuation with the dustpan. Anytime you see me sweeping, you walk straight to the pantry and grab the dustpan. It really is so cute. You completely understand the concept, too, and that may have just a bit to do with how often the kitchen floor gets swept. Today...THREE times. We make quite a mess, multiple times a day. :) 


Our last few trips to the library have been super fun for you! The 7:30pm "Eat What You Grow" class wasn't all that interesting to you so you decided washing the windows with a baby-wipe would help pass time. 


Also, while checking out books before weekly story time you discovered how much fun crawling through bookshelve tunnels could be. 


Pertaining to your feet; you love trying to put your shoes on by yourself, you love taking your socks off and you occasionally try to put your toes in your mouth. I tried so hard to capture that moment here but I failed. You were too quick! 


Oh, how I could go on and on about the cutest little things you've been up to during this season of your life. It's all of these little things and more that make me realize you're a little less babyish and a little more toddlerish lately. And Despite my longing to savor your baby days a bit longer, it has really been such a joy to watch you develop not only physically but cognitively and emotionally as well. 

I love you to pieces Josiah and I adore watching you grow.


No comments:

Post a Comment