Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Saving One Hundred Pennies

Nana and pop-pop's gift to the one-year-old birthday boy was money towards his first pair of Stride Rights so we took to a special trip into town to pick them out! 

As we checked out at the shoe store Gabriella noticed the tall, clear, column-like glass case with super fancy (and very expensive I should add) handmade, beaded purses. She was pretty awe struck. She mentioned to me how pretty she thought they were but what really caught her eye was a seashell. It was a small shell that looked as though it was simply spray painted silver and placed there for decorative purposes. I lover her eye for small, simple treasures. 

She really adored it and of course asked me if she could have it. I reminded her the shell wasn't what we came for and that she'd have to save her pennies for such a thing. Even though I'm sure the shell wasn't for-sale, I hope she can understand that things are not free and bought with a price. She asked me if it cost one hundred pennies and not thinking anything of it at the moment I responded with "oh yes, I'm sure". I was honestly trying my best just to keep Mikey from breaking the column-like glass case, hold Josiah while using the other arm to deal with sale business and politely and patiently answer Gabriella's urgent questions concerning the beautiful silver shell. Motherhood really is multitasking at it's finest. 

Long story short, my "yes" to one hundred pennies stuck. She was so eager to get home and use her 100's chart to help count the coins in her piggy bank. 

Her first time filling the chart with coins was during Mikey's nap time. She was thrilled when she finally reached one hundred. It was quite amazing to watch her excitement. This was her first self-motivated attempt to count to one hundred. 



After Mikey woke they decided to work on it again together. (Sigh...I love when I whiteness them exhibiting teamwork.) They took turns filling in and counting by rows of ten!
I love Gabriella's blanket. :) 

Look at that smile on her face! Pure self gratification! Getting soooooo close to one hundred! 

Mikey really wanted to place the hundredth coin on the chart so Gabriella assisted him in doing so. 


Ta-da, One hundred!!!! All of her excitement for that pretty silver seashell was replaced by contagious excitement for counting and the joy of learning.  She didn't forget, however, to ask me when we were going back to the store so she could buy it as a gift for me! Oh, her hear of gold never ceases to amaze me! What a memorable experience this was. 


No comments:

Post a Comment